Mushroom Cauli Rice with Grilled Shrimp
Low Carb Mushroom Cauliflower Rice with Grilled Shrimp
This cauliflower rice recipe goes great with shrimp, pork or beef and it makes a great side dish for those on a keto or low-carb diet. It is easy to make and the earthiness and savoriness complement any protein you might choose for it to accompany.
This is also a great meal prep dish for the weekdays. We usually make 3-4 bags from Trader Joe's at once on Sunday and it lasts for a few days during the week for a quick lunch or dinner along with some protein.
I admit that I have not always liked mushrooms. When I was a child, mom used to take us to the woods and show us how to spot good mushrooms from bad ones. The dishes that ensued were amazing but I barely ever did more than just taste them. It was something about the texture of the mushrooms that I did not like as a child. As an adult though, I can never have enough of dishes prepared with the earthy flavors of mushrooms.
- 350 g frozen riced cauliflower (from Trader Joe's or any of the grocery stores)
- 2 tsp garlic
- 200 g mushrooms (I prefer a mixture of shiitakes and portabellos, but button mushrooms work as well)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- About 10 medium sized shrimps
- 1 Tbsp of avocado oil
- Spice mix
- Heat up the oil and chop the mushrooms in slices. If using shiitakes, remove the stems (they are very fibrous).
- Fry the mushrooms until golden brown. It is important that you do not overcrowd the pan and that the oil is very hot. Mushrooms have a high water content and they will steam instead of frying if the pan is overcrowded. Steamed mushrooms are not very appetizing. If the mushrooms start leaving a lot of water, turn up the heat and fry until all the water evaporates.
- Add the garlic and the rice and mix it all together. Cook the rice for about 5-6 minutes, covered for 1 minute out of that so that it can steam. Be careful not to overmix because it will turn the rice mushy.
- Grill the shrimp on a hot grill or a non stick pan till golden yellow.
- Sprinkle some herbs/chives and serve warm with the shrimp or any other protein.
Only for Mushroom Rice
- Number of Servings 2
- Calories Per Serving 180
- Fat 14g
- Carbs 11g
- Fiber 9g
- Net Carbs 2g
- Protein 5g
- Fat 82%, Protein 13%, Net Carbs 5%