Mushroom Scampi with Low Carb Pasta
Keto Friendly Mushroom Scampi with Low Carb Pasta
The biggest problem when it comes to maintaining a keto lifestyle (probably right after not being able to enjoy that beer anymore) is coming up with easy meals that can be cooked during a weeknight. We both have hectic schedules, in between full time jobs, a 3 year-old and a household to manage, there is very little time left for cooking and most of the times we would rather spend our weekends doing an activity together instead of just cooking.
So here is our answer to an easy weeknight dinner: "mushroom scampi". To be quite honest, my husband was the one who came up with the recipe for this sauce.... oh and what a sauce!! A creamy and garlicky decadence with the subtle undertones of basil and dill...
And in our quest of finding a low carb alternative for the traditional Italian pasta, we stumbled upon a few options. One of them turned out to be very satisfactory in terms of taste and the texture - Explore Asian Organic Soybean Spaghetti.
- 150 g mushrooms
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 15 g parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp chopped basil
- Salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes according to your taste
- 1 serving soybean (Explore Asian Organic) or other low carb pasta
- Boil the pasta separately according to pasta instructions.
- Heat up a pan to medium and add the coconut oil. When the oil is melted, add the sliced mushrooms and fry till golden brown. This will help release the earthy taste of the mushrooms. Honestly, properly fried mushrooms are one of my favorite foods.
- Once all the mushrooms are fried, take them aside.
- Add the butter to the same pan with drippings left over from the fried mushrooms. Once the butter is melted, add the garlic and soften it a bit. Be careful not to let it burn, because it will turn very bitter.
- Add the cream and the spices you want to use. I prefer lots of black pepper on white sauces.
- Let it cook a bit to thicken and add the mushrooms in and the boiled pasta.
- Let everything cook together nicely. Top with parmesan cheese and basil.
- Serve it on a plate that can hold the creamy sauce and dig in.
- Any kind of low carb pasta should work for this recipe. We tried this with soy bean spaghetti but any spiralized zucchini or other packaged low carb pasta will work (check the ingredients for any added sweeteners or preservatives).
- You can also replace the mushrooms with shrimp or chicken.
- Number of Servings 2
- Calories Per Serving 550
- Fat 49g
- Carbs 14g
- Fiber 6g
- Net Carbs 8g
- Protein 16g
- Fat 82%, Protein 12%, Net Carbs 6%