Spinach Cauliflower Rice
Low Carb/Keto Spinach Cauliflower Rice
While it may be easy to find a main dish while on a keto or low-carb diet, side dishes tend to be more difficult. People tend to grasp to a side salad and change the dressing around and get bored quickly of the monotonous choices. However, cauliflower rice offers a lot of different alternatives for side dishes. Just like the mushroom cauli rice, here’s another quick recipe made with spinach.
This spinach rice is a twist on a dish my grandmother used to make a lot. It was one of my favorite dishes, mainly because of the fresh taste of the spinach mixed with a lot of other greens that I have not been able to find in the US. This side dish goes well with chicken and fish as the protein on the side.
- 350 g frozen riced cauliflower (from Trader Joe's or any of the grocery stores)
- 2 tsp garlic
- 200 g frozen chopped spinach (or about same fresh spinach)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a wide pan. Throw in the garlic and fry until fragrant and until it starts to change color.
- Add the spinach. If using frozen, cook for about 3 minutes, until all water dissolves. If using fresh, cook until the spinach is wilted and the water has mostly evaporated.
- Add salt and pepper and the riced cauliflower. Stir to mix the rice with the spinach and spread it around in the pan. Do not stir it too much or it will get mushy. Cover the pan for 30 seconds to 1 minute so it can steam.
- Cook for 5 minutes and serve warm with a side of protein.
- I prefer to use the riced cauliflower from Trader Joe’s. Most of its grains are the same size and mimic rice closely. It seems that it is made from the stalks of cauliflower rather than the florets, which gives it more integrity.
- Depending on your daily carb allowance, this would taste great with kale or any mixture of kale, spinach and chard.
- Number of Servings 2
- Calories Per Serving 180
- Fat 14g
- Carbs 13g
- Fiber 11g
- Net Carbs 2g
- Protein 7g
- Fat 78%, Protein 17%, Net Carbs 5%