Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
Low Carb Keto Friendly Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
Both my husband and I come from backgrounds in which bacon is not a staple. But one thing is true: we are both great fans of bacon and love munching on a crispy piece during breakfast, lunch or dinner.
In our smallish city, with very little fancy dining, there is this small Chinese barbecue place (Shao Kao) that sells bacon wrapped everything: asparagus, mushrooms, cauliflower etc. and we are really in love with it. This recipe attempts to recreate one of their creations: bacon wrapped asparagus.
The most important part about asparagus when baked is that it will get overcooked before the bacon has had a chance to crisp up. So what I did was use thin center-cut bacon and wrapped the whole piece of asparagus with it. I also cut the strips of bacon in half lengthwise to ensure that I do not run out of asparagus before I run out of bacon.
This is a great low carb keto friendly game day snack one must try.
- 20 stalks of asparagus
- 10 strips of thin, center-cut bacon
- Wash the asparagus stalks and either trim off the woody part or simply break it off. Usually where the stalk breaks off is where the good part of the asparagus begins.
- Cut the bacon strips in half lengthwise and wrap carefully with bacon. I placed them on the rack of a roaster. I think this makes clean-up easier and helps the bacon crisp up faster.
- Start in a cold oven, turn it up to 400 degrees and bake for about 20 minutes, turning the pieces at around the 10-minute mark.
- Serve with a dipping sauce and/or Sriracha. We used an avocado ranch dipping sauce.
- Number of Servings 4 (5 spears per serving)
- Calories Per Serving 100
- Fat 9g
- Carbs 2g
- Fiber 1g
- Net Carbs 1g
- Protein 4g
- Fat 80%, Protein 16%, Net Carbs 4%