Keto Appetizer - Jalapeno Poppers
This recipe has been around for quite some time. This is just my version of it, basically the only differences are in the mixture for the cream cheese.
Albeit not innovative, these poppers taste fantastic. When you bite into one, you first get the crunchiness and saltiness of the bacon, then the spiciness of the jalapeno only to be met with the coolness of the cream cheese filling. These make awesome appetizers or game-day snacks for all those die-hard football fans, whether following a keto diet or not.
- 400 g jalapeños (about 20 big sized)
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 50 g sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch smoked paprika
- 20 slices bacon - cut in half
- Wash your jalapeños, cut out the stem and cut them in half lengthwise.
- Spoon out the seeds and the veins of the jalapeños using a spoon and scraping them out. (Note: Goes without saying - make sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching your face, your eyes or your kids.)
- Separately mix the cream cheese with the spices and the cheddar cheese. If the cream cheese is not at room temperature, pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Fill the jalapeño pieces with the cream cheese mixture.
- Wrap bacon slices around them. It would be wise to use toothpicks to keep the bacon in place because it will curl and most likely fall off when cooking.
- Bake the poppers at 350 degrees until the bacon is crispy. I used a baking rack set into a baking dish to keep the poppers up and allow both sides of the bacon to cook and crisp up. If you have a convection oven, that works a lot better when baking these nuggets of awesomeness.
- Serve with any blue cheese or ranch dipping sauce.
- Number of Servings 20 (2 poppers per serving)
- Calories Per Serving 76
- Fat 6g
- Carbs 2g
- Fiber 1g
- Net Carbs 1g
- Protein 4g
- Fat 73%, Protein 22%, Net Carbs 5%