Chilles Rellenos - Keto Style
Chilles Rellenos - Low Carb, Keto Friendly
Let's be honest about one thing: we love spicy food. That is why the name of our website is Butter and Spice. One dish we are particularly fond of are keto friendly Chilles Rellenos (Stuffed Pablano Peppers).
Poblano peppers are not overly spicy (unless you are lucky to get one of the few spicy ones) and they still have the bite of green peppers. The only problem with them is their bitterness, but roasting them and peeling off that bitter outer skin solves that.
They are then stuffed with a mixture of chicken and cheese and topped with a heavy cream based sauce thickened with almond flour.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 50 g onion (1 small onion or half of a medium one)
- 10 g jalapeno peppers
- 200 g chicken thighs
- 3 poblano peppers
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 3 tsp garlic
- 1 tbsp almond flour
- 2 tsp cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Put the peppers under the broiler and broil them until the skin is charred. Turn them so that all sides are charred. Remove them from the broiler and let them cool down. Peel the skin with a paper towel and remove the seeds. You should be left with just the fleshy part of the pepper.
- In a skillet, add the coconut oil and brown the meat and the diced onion. Add the jalapeno and the garlic. If the mixture has become dry, add a bit of water or extra coconut oil. Mix in the cream cheese and let it melt in the mixture. Then add the spices and adjust the seasoning.
- Separately, make a sauce by heating up oil and lightly sauteeing garlic. Add the heavy cream and the almond flour. Season with salt and the chipotle powder.
- Fill the peppers with the chicken mixture and serve with the sauce on top.
- Number of Servings 3
- Calories Per Serving 365
- Fat 27g
- Carbs 10g
- Fiber 2g
- Net Carbs 8g
- Protein 21g
- Fat 68%, Protein 23%, Net Carbs 9%