Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Low Carb Stuffed Cabbage
One of the hardest parts of enjoying a keto lifestyle is the holidays. Most traditional dishes are loaded with carbs and very difficult, if not impossible to turn low carb. Fortunately, cabbage is in the low carb category of vegetables; add ground pork, bacon, replace rice with riced cauliflower and reduce the onion and tomatoes in it and stuffed cabbage becomes an easy keto dish.
For this dish, it is best to get pickled cabbage outside (any Russian or Eastern European grocery store carries it; I have even seen it in Publix). Pickled cabbage is one of those things that remind me of winter. Traditionally, cabbage is pickled with just salt and added spices, so it is not overly sour, like sauerkraut (which contains vinegar), but this also makes it optimal for our diet. Pickling reduces the number of carbs as well as adds beneficial bacteria in it. It also happens to taste amazing.
It is very easy to make stuffed cabbage; the wrapping resembles stuffing a burrito, with the wrap replaced by pickled cabbage.
- 140 g onion
- 3 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g riced cauliflower
- 680 g pickled cabbage leaves
- 1 lb ground pork
- salt, pepper
- bay leaves
- 70 g tomatoes
- 4 slices of baco
- Chop up the onion and fry it in oil or bacon grease till translucent. Mix with the riced cauliflower, garlic, thyme, pork and 1 tsp salt.
- Cut up the cabbage leaves into smaller pieces and remove the big stalk from the center.
- Get about 2-3 tbsp of meat and put it on one end of the leaf. Then start rolling the cabbage; at the end tuck in the sides and you are all done. Move on to the next stuffed cabbage roll. Keep doing this until you run out of meat.
- Layer some of the leftover cabbage on the bottom of a wide pan that goes into the oven too and arrange your rolls.
- Cover with cut up bacon and add about 3 cups of water mixed with thyme and the chopped up tomatoes.
- Cook on the stove top for about 20-30 minutes and then bake at 350 for another 20.
- Serve with some low carb bread and sour cream.
- Number of Servings 25
- Calories Per Serving 80
- Fat 6g
- Carbs 3g
- Fiber 0g
- Net Carbs 3g
- Protein 5g
- Fat 63%, Protein 23%, Net Carbs 14%