Low Carb Schnitzels
Low Carb Keto Friendly Schnitzels
Great crunch.... amazing flavor....
Those of us who have been on the low-carb diet long enough know that crunch and texture are the two things that the diet lack. Pork rinds help with this somewhat but they can quickly get boring. I grew up eating schnitzels; they were my favorite way to eat my protein as well as my favorite dish as a kid. Put some mashed potatoes and a green salad on the side and this was the only meal I would ask for growing up.
Many people falsely assume that wings, fried chicken and any such fried delights are ok on a keto diet. However, most times restaurants coat their wings and the fried chicken in flour before deep frying it. Flour is neither keto friendly, nor gluten free, nor paleo. It is very difficult to try to replace that flour in ketogenic cooking. I have experimented with a combination of coconut flour and almond flour, coconut flour only, almond flour only and even flax seed powder but the meat never gets that crispiness that characterizes schnitzels and fried chicken.
Flash forward to end of 2016 when I discovered what one can do with the help of pork rinds. I used them just like one would use breadcrumbs in frying and got an amazingly crispy and tasty result.
- 1 lb Pork loin chops
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3.5 oz crushed up pork rinds
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder/paprika
- Cut up the pork loin into thinner slices and beat them with a meat tenderizer (This is a good opportunity to release all that pent-up anger you accumulate).
- Dip the loin slices into egg wash (I added some salt, garlic powder and paprika to it).
- Mix the coconut flour with salt, garlic powder, cumin powder and chili powder.
- Dip the pork loin slices in the coconut flour and spice mixture. This is where the coconut flour will absorb any extra liquid.
- Then dip the pork through egg wash again and shake it in a bag with crushed up pork rinds.
- Put the porn rind coated pork loins on a baking sheet and bake them in the oven at 350 degrees until golden brown, making sure to flip it at least once (time will vary depending on size of your oven). Alternatively, you can also fry the pork loin slices in till golden brown for extra crispiness.
- Serve the low carb - keto friendly schnitzels with horseradish or any creamy sauce of your liking.
- Number of Servings 6
- Calories Per Serving 215
- Fat 13g
- Carbs 4g
- Fiber 2g
- Net Carbs 2g
- Protein 23g
- Fat 54%, Protein 42%, Net Carbs 4%